Spearmint tends to be a bit lost in the shadow of Peppermint, but it might be a better choice for you than peppermint. Why do I say that? The short quick answer is that while providing many of the same benefits as peppermint, it is a lighter, sweeter mint.
Let’s dive into more about Spearmint itself.
Fast facts about Spearmint
- Spearmint (Mentha spicata) is part of the Mint family (Lamiaceae)of plants
- Spearmint is a perennial plant that grows best with hot days and cool nights but can tolerate some shade.
- The word Menthe comes from the name of Greek nymph who was a mistress of Hades.
- Spearmint has many of the same benefits as peppermint but contains less menthol so it is more gentle version.
- Spearmint leaves can be used for tea similar to peppermint.
- Spearmint has a sweeter scent than peppermint.
Some benefits of choosing Spearmint
- Spearmint can definitely boost your mood and perk you up without being so “in your face or your nose” like peppermint
- Spearmint gives you that fresh, clean scent without being too much “tingle”
- Spearmint makes a great breath freshener. Chew some leaves or try a natural mouthwash with spearmint
- Spearmint is just a great scent that you may really prefer over peppermint. The first time I made a batch of spearmint soap my staff went crazy over the scent!
Products I offer with Spearmint
Spearmint Soap$14.00 — or subscribe and save up to 10%
Natural Lip Balm in a Tube$7.50 – $9.00 — or subscribe and save up to 10%
So, is Spearmint a better choice for You?
The bottom line probably boils down to the following three points:
- Do you like the scent of mint but peppermint is too strong for you?
- You want the benefits of mint but again peppermint just doesn’t work for you.
- You just really like the scent of spearmint.
More Posts that May be of Interest
Peppermint or Spearmint Essential Oil – Which is the Guaranteed Best?
Sign up for our newsletter and stay in the loop! Do you know which is better- peppermint or spearmint? Both of them smell like mint and have a calming effect on your body. But peppermint smells stronger than spearmint and so some people might prefer the smell of spearmint! To learn more about peppermint vs…
Continue Reading Peppermint or Spearmint Essential Oil – Which is the Guaranteed Best?
Keep your cool with Peppermint Essential Oil
As we head into the dog days of August keeping cool is definitely on many of our minds. Peppermint essential oil (mentha piperita), indeed all of the mint essential oils can help you achieve that goal. In many ways it can be as refreshing as a dip in the pool.
Continue Reading Keep your cool with Peppermint Essential Oil
0 thoughts on “Spearmint – Better Choice for You than Peppermint?”
Eucalyptus & spearmint, how refreshing yet simple 🙂