Table of contents
- What this Post is About
- Important points to Keep in Mind
- Peppermint Essential Oil Benefits by Body System
- Susan’s Soaps Products with Peppermint Essential Oil
What this Post is About
Peppermint Essential Oil Benefits. I don’t know about you, but I see benefits listed for essential oils and I wonder a bit what makes that essential oil work for that ailment. One of my favorite reference books is Julia Lawless, The Illustrated Encyclopedia of Essential Oils. For each essential oil discussed she goes through the major systems of the body and lists how that essential oil benefits it. She also lists a the “Actions” or active qualtities that essential possesses. These are often in medical type terms that I usually have to look up to understand.
To further both my understanding and hopefully provide assistance to you when reaching for a natural alternative for your health I am going to try and translate Julia’s information into a slightly more practical and beneficial form.
Important points to Keep in Mind
Before we get started please remember these important points:
- More is not better when using essential oils. A little can go a long way.
- Generally you Never want to apply essential oils “straight” They should be diluted in a carrier oil such as almond or even olive at about a 2% concentration.
- There are multiple ways to benefit from peppermint. Drinking peppermint tea, breathing in steam from a drop or two in a bowl of hot water or diluted in a base oil to rub on your skin.
- Peppermint essential oil is not compatible with homeopathic treatments so do not use these two types of natural self help care together.
- Essential oils can be damaging to cats. Their systems can not process them and they can build up to toxic levels in their bodies so do not use essential oils on your favorite kitty.
- I am not a doctor and so do not take the advice here as medical advice. For any serious conditions make sure to consult a qualified medical professional!
Now on to the fun stuff!!
Peppermint Essential Oil Benefits by Body System
Skin Care Benefits: acne, dermatitus, ringworm
Applicable Actions: Antiseptic, Antiviral, Astringent and Anti-inflammatory. Both of these last two actions aid in helping to clear the skin.
Circulation, Muscles and Joints: muscle aches and pain
Applicable Actions: Analgesic(deadens pain) , Anti-inflammatory, Hepatic (relating to the liver).
For muscle aches and pains it is suggested to apply peppermint essential oil in the form of a body oil or balm to affected areas and rub in.
Respiratory System: asthma, bronchitis, halitosis, sinusitis
Applicable Actions: Expectorant, Antispasmodic, Antimicrobial, Antiviral.
For respiratory ailments you can do a chest rub with oil or balm as for muscle aches or you can put a drop or two in a bowl of hot water and inhale the steam.
Digestive System: nausea, cramp, upset stomach
Applicable Actions: Antispasmodic (prevents and eases spasms or convulsions), Carminative (settles the digestive system, relieves flatulence), Cholagogue (stimulates the secretion and flow of bile into the duodenum), Stomachic (digestive aid and tonic)
To ease tummy upsets try drinking a cup of peppermint tea or getting a snif of peppermint essential oil.
Immune System: colds, flu, fever
Applicable Actions: Anti-inflammatory, Antiseptic, Antiviral, Antimicrobial, Febrifuge (combats fever)
Using products made with peppermint essential oil so that your body can absorb it will help build up your immune system over all.
Nervous System: Headache, mental fatigue, stress, vertigo
Applicable Actions: Analgesic (deadens pain), Cephalic (remedy for disorders of the head), Cordial (stimulant or tonic), Nervine (strengthening or toning to the nerves)
All of the methods of application should help with most nervous system related ailments. Rubbing oil or balm, drinking tea, inhaling something scented with peppermint esssential oil. I have had customers tell me they keep one of our Pepppermint Lotion Bars with them to help with headaches. Choose what works for you, but just remember that more is not better.